Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Uprooted - Naomi Novik

Uprooted begins when Agnieszka is getting ready for her best friend in the world Kasia to go away. You see every ten years the "Dragon" picks a girl to spend ten years with him in his tower. No one really knows what they do there, but when the girl comes back she eventually leaves town and doesn't fit in with the rest of them. But this year is different. This year the Dragon doesn't pick the most beautiful or special girl, he picks Agnieszka, and no one knows why. After they get off to a rocky start things start to change, especially when Agnieszka realizes that she has a gift she never knew about...

But trouble is coming, and the fierce Wood is out to get the kingdoms...

Agnieszka and the Dragon must work together if they wish to stop the madness that is heading their way.

This book started out by sucking me into. I couldn't put it down. But then the book sort of shifted, it basically took a 180 turn from what I imagined was going to happen, and I wasn't sure what to think about it. I sort of felt like the heroine didn't really get enough to practice her gifts, and was just thrown to the wolves basically. But I got over that because the book got better. However, I still sort of felt like something was missing the rest of the story. It was still really good, but I just expected more.

I also really loved all of the other characters in the book. And there was a little bit of romance in it as well that made it much more interesting.

The only other downside to the story was the ending. I'm not sure if there will be another book or not, but I was a little disappointed with the lack of details, and the way the conflict just ended in the end.

Overall though I really thought the book was good! It was a nice fantasy read!