My Life After Now by Jessica Verdi

My Life After Now - Jessica Verdi

My Life After Now starts out with Lucy being just a normal sixteen year old girl. She's in the drama club, she has a boyfriend she's been with for the past year, and she has good friends. Things start to go bad for her when her rival gets the lead in the play, she loses her boyfriend, and her "mother" comes back into the picture. With all of this on her shoulders Lucy just wants to get away from it all. She wants one night of fun to forget all of her problems. But she never knew she would make one of the biggest mistakes of her life by just trying to forget things.

I have never once read about that dealt with HIV. This book was very unique. It shows all of the things Lucy goes through when she finds out she has HIV. We get to see how she interacts with friends, possible boyfriends, her family. Things change so drastically for her, and she's so scared of what's going to happen. This book in its own way is very heartbreaking. I know I cried several times during it. I applaud the author for doing such a wonderful job bringing this story to life.

Overall the book was wonderful. I just wish there was a little bit more romance, but alas that is not really what the book was about. I enjoyed all of the side characters, and getting to see how Lucy changed throughout the whole story. I would like to see more of Lucy, so hopefully there will be another book to this one.